Instruments and supplies that need to be kept sterile should be kept in covered or shuttered cabinets. Dental devices and equipment should not be kept near sinks or potentially wet areas.
The following are the requirements for the storage of sterile equipment:
- The storage area must be enclosed, separate, and located near the sterilization room.
- The storage area must have restricted access.
- The medical equipment must be stored in a clean and dry environment and shouldn‘t be exposed to any moisture.
- The storage area must have good circulation and be bright and airy with a temperature between 60˚F to 80˚F and the humidity between 30–50%
- The medical equipment must be placed in a single layer to prevent moisture from developing between the layers.